In this semester, we are presenting various aspects of our Catholic faith. The youth will hear and learn about how and when the Catholic Church was instituted, the precepts of the faith, the four pillars, heaven, hell and purgatory, discipleship, evangelization and more. Encourage your Core Team to take the time needed to prepare for each Edge Night by reading through the Catechism and Scripture references. It is important for the team to have a deeper understanding of the faith in order to further challenge the middle school youth.
- Suit Up: Vocations in the Church: Ordained and Consecrated Life
The goal of this night is to provide middle school youth with a clear understanding and appreciation of the ordained and consecrated life. They will learn about the path to ordination and consecration and begin to pray about the vocation that God may be calling them toward in their lives.
- Building Blocks: Hierarchy and Magisterium
The goal of this Edge Night is to teach the middle school youth the structure of the Church’s hierarchy and define the roles of the pope, bishops, priests, and laity. This night also helps the youth understand the virtue of obedience to the Church.
- Got A Question?: Questions About the Catholic Church
The goal of this night is to give a brief summary of the semester and give the teens an opportunity to ask some questions about the things that they learned. It is also an opportunity to emphasize the importance of continuing to ask questions and learn about the Church. The night will end with an activity that will guide them through using resources such as the YouCat, the Catechism and the Scriptures in finding answers to questions.
- Destination Heaven: Christ Established the Church
The goal of this night is to bring middle school youth to a greater understanding that Christ gave us the Church as a gift and a way to grow closer to him in holiness and to ultimately get to heaven.
- So You Think You’re Catholic?: Why Be Catholic?
The goal of the Edge night is to help middle school youth understand the beauty of Catholicism and what it means to be a member of the Catholic Church. Middle school youth will learn about some important aspects of Catholicism and will be able to state their own thoughts on why they love being Catholic.
- United Way: Catholics and Other Christians
The goal of this Edge Night is to help the middle school youth understand the relationship between Catholics and other Christians, and Christ’s desire for all to be united as one.
- Hurry Up and Wait: A Single Person's Vocation
The goal of this Edge Night is make the middle school youth aware of the role of the single person in the life of the Church – especially in regard to his/her vocation.
- To the Nations: Evangelization
The goal of this Edge Night is to show the Church’s mission to evangelize and how each member of the Church is called to live out this same mission.
- Mission: Possible: Pentecost/Discipleship
The goal of this Edge Night is to introduce the middle school youth to the significance of Pentecost. We will help communicate how the Holy Spirit leads us and gives us life, and inspires us to do the work of the Church here in the world.
- Steady Shelter: The Four Marks of the Church
The goal of this Edge Night is to allow the middle school youth to grow in their knowledge of the unique characteristics of the Catholic Church, which are called the four marks of the Church. We profess our belief in the four marks every time we profess the Creed, “We believe in one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church.” These defining characteristics form a foundation for the Catholic Church.
- The Final Four: Last Things
The goal of this night is to grow in our understanding of the “last things” (death, purgatory, heaven and hell), so we understand what everlasting life means. People have a lot of misconceptions about death, heaven, hell, and purgatory; by the end of this night the misconceptions will be discussed and clarified. Ultimately, the goal is to empower each middle school youth to desire heaven more at the end of this night.
- The House That Christ Built: The Church – Established by Christ
The goal of this Edge Night is to help the youth understand the Catholic Church is built upon the firm foundation of Jesus Christ and guided by the Holy Spirit to lead the faithful to salvation.
- Preaching and Walking: Evangelization
The goal of this night is to challenge the middle school youth that evangelization begins with the way we live our lives. People see and learn about the love of God by the way we behave and treat others.
- Truth of the Matter: Magisterium of the Catholic Church
The goal of this Edge Night is to teach the middle school youth about the Magisterium of the Catholic Church as the office that safeguards the truth and is the teaches and instructs the faithful.
We always recommend full preparation for any Edge Night. This night, however, will require you to be ready to answer questions about some of our beliefs as Catholic Christians. Read through the “Fact or Opinion” activity (Handout A on page 74) and be prepared to answer questions that may arise. Read through the Catechism of the Catholic Church and other resources (100 Things Every Catholic Teen Should Know from Life Teen) to better prepare for this session.
- Edgetopia: Precepts of the Catholic Church
The goal of this Edge Night is to help the middle school youth learn the precepts of the Church and that they exist to show the faithful what is necessary for us to do to grow in love of God and neighbor.
- Heaven and Earth: Mass/Liturgy
The goal of this Edge Night is to make the middle school youth aware of their responsibility for “full, active conscious participation” in Mass.
- Vocation: Philippians 2:1-5
The middle school youth will understand the concept of “vocation.” They also will discuss the Sacraments of service and consider whether they are feeling a call to serving God and His people as a lay person or through the religious life.
- We Are Family: An EDGE Catechetical Night
- Not of This World: An EDGE Catechetical Night
- I Am Yours: An EDGE Catechetical Night
- Destination: Heaven: An EDGE Catechetical Night
- A Call to Authenticity: An EDGE Catechetical Night
- Don’t Give Up: An EDGE Catechetical Night
- A Life of Virtue: An EDGE Catechetical Night
- The Good News: An EDGE Catechetical Night
- From Charity to Solidarity: An EDGE Catechetical Night
- The Church: One, Holy, Catholic, Apostolic
- Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition: An Edge Catechetical Night
- The Trinity: An Edge Catechetical Night
- Second Coming of Christ: An Edge Catechetical Night
- The Magisterium: An Edge Catechetical Night
- The Devil: An Edge Catechetical Night
- Salvation and Grace: An Edge Catechetical Night
- Sacramentals: An Edge Catechetical Night
- Holy Days of Obligation: An Edge Catechetical Night
- Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory: An Edge Catechetical Night
- The Second Vatican Council: An Edge Night on the Second Vatican Council (1962 to 1965 AD)
- The Legacy of St. Augustine: An Edge Night on the Legacy of St. Augustine (354 - 430 AD)
- The Council of Trent: An Edge Night on the Council of Trent (1545 to 1563 AD)
- The Protestant Reformation: An Edge Night on the Protestant Reformation (16th Century)
- The Ministry of Jesus on Earth: An Edge Night on Jesus' Ministry
- The Early Church Persecuted: An Edge Night on the Persecution of the Early Church (34 to 313 AD)
- The Conversion of Constantine: An Edge Night on the Conversion of Constantine (313 AD)
- The Crusades: An Edge Night on the Crusades (1095 - 1291 AD)
- The Great Schism: An Edge Night on the Great Schism (1054 AD)