Throughout the semester, the middle school youth will be introduced to the social teaching of the Catholic Church. Using the dignity of the human person as the basis, this semester will look at issues such as solidarity, war, greed, poverty and injustice. The goal of the semester is to help the young people see the needs of the greater human family and how their faith connects them to their brothers and sisters in need.
- Love One Another: Introduction to the Corporal Works of Mercy
The goal of this Edge Night is to introduce the youth to the semester on the seven Corporal Works of Mercy. The night will emphasize the call to love one another and the dignity of every human person.
- Living The Option: Serving The Poor
The goal of this Edge Night is to help the youth grow in awareness of what our Catholic faith teaches about serving the poor. This night will help the middle school youth see what the poor can teach us about loving God.
- Near And Far: Solidarity
The goal of this Edge Night is to help the youth understand the Catholic Church’s teaching on solidarity and call them to action in living it out. The night focuses on love of neighbor and how Jesus Christ shows us not only the dignity of humanity, but also how to respond the needs of those around us.
- With All Your: The Greatest Commandment
The goal of this Edge Night is to show that God is first and foremost commanding us to love Him and make Him the center of our lives. Our love of others and of ourselves will flow correctly when we keep God first in our lives.
- Needs and Wants: Greed and Materialism
The goal of this Edge Night is to help the youth keep in perspective the things they want and desire in life. If they can recognize the difference between wanting and needing something, they can avoid falling into traps of greed and getting caught up in the materialism of the world.
- Life Is Wonderful: Life Issues
The goal of this Edge Night is to teach the youth that human life is sacred at all stages and to help them understand the Church’s moral stance on the major life issues. The night will concentrate on God as Giver of Life and our role in overcoming the culture of death.
- Around The Table: Dignity of the Family
The goal of this Edge Night is to teach the youth about the dignity of the family so that they learn that in the community of the family we are called to love, forgive, and pray. The youth will also learn that we are all part of the larger family of God.
Before The Night:
- Get volunteers to help with the opening dinner activity.
- Preview and set up the video clip for the teaching.
- Have the teen giving the witness practice it for you and other Core Members ahead of time.
- Made For More: Human Dignity
The goal of this Edge Night is for youth to recognize God’s divine image in every human person and identify ways to honor this dignity in themselves and others each day.
- Defeat For Humanity: War
The goal of this Edge Night is to help the middle school youth understand the effects of war on a person and the need to be catalysts for peace in a world filled with violence. The middle school youth should develop a desire for peace above war both in the world and their own lives.
- Care For God’s Creation: The World We Live In: The Environment
- Compassion: Reaching Out To Those Who Are Considered Outcasts
- War and Peace: Peace In Our Lives
- Catholic Social Teaching: The Beginning
- Greed and Materialism: The Consumption of Goods
- Getting Involved: Faith and Works
- Global Family and Solidarity: Loving Our Neighbor - When the World is in Crisis
- The Poor and Vulnerable: Preferential Treatment
- Respect Of All Human Life: Abortion, Stem Cell Research and Euthanasia
- Image and Likeness of God: The Dignity of the Human Person